Perfect posture is the state of muscular and skeletal balance. The goal is to protect the supporting structures of the body against injury or progressive wear and tear. Perfect posture minimizes stress on the body and helps you to function optimally. Conversely, faulty posture increases stress on the joints and can lead to a variety of conditions.
Here is the 5 point posture hold:
1) Feet facing forward and hip width apart
2) Hips and knees in neutral
3) Engage core: draw the muscles under your belly button toward your spine
4) Shoulders down and back – imagine your shoulder blades being slightly drawn together
5) Align your ears with your shoulders – chin tucked in (not jutting forward) – you can imagine a string at the crown of your head pulling you up.
It may feel unnatural at first, especially if you have not developed good posture habits. This will become second nature over time. The effects of good posture can be far reaching, involving benefits for the respiratory, digestive, and circulatory systems as well as the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Make a habit of practicing perfect posture!
Dr. Jayne Bidgood
Chiropractor, Victory Health & Wellness